- My family member has come out to me as an LGBT person. What do I need to know now?
- Visit this page http://orinam.net/resources-for/friends-and-family/
- Or http://www.deepakkashyap.com/pinkbooklet/
- For School going children: http://genderdiversityandschools.in
- I have recently discovered that my spouse has been watching same-sex porn/ meeting people of their own gender, and maybe queer. How can I get support ?
- This group as a support space is inclusive of spouses of anybody who may be queer. Please reach out to us. Discovering your spouse may be queer can be quite distressing. We can help you meet a counsellor, for yourself and as a couple. We keep an open-minded space and will help you figure out how you wish to act on this
- In-person counselling and support groups can also be made available. Wirte to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
- We are worried about our LGBT friend or family member due to recent SC judgment. Where can we know more about this law and current status?
- You can visit the following link. All the info about Sec.377 is updated here.
- Do you have any meetings where I can meet families of other LGBT members?
- Goodasyou conducts meetings every November (before Pride March) for parents and families of LGBT members. Look for the announcement in this group for the next meeting time and venue.
- We are happy to host more support groups. Please contact us and we can help organize more.
- I am a parent of an LGBT child. I want to talk one-on-one with another parent who is experienced in handling these issues?
- Write to us an email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org. We will try to connecting to other parents of your comfortable language. \
- Is there any international support group/organization for Parents/Families of LGBT?
- Yes, www.pflag.org has many chapters across USA and the following link has resourses for other countries
- Can we get more information about LGBT in Indian languages?
- We know only a few un-organized sites/blogs listed below. If you know something, Please do let us know, we would list it here.
- Tamil: http://orinam.net/ta/
- Kannada: http://kannadarainbow.blogspot.com/
- Telugu: http://telugurainbow.blogspot.com/
- Any personal stories of LGBT members that we can read/listen/watch ?
- SatyamevJayate Episode and other videos lists down numerous videos of stories of LGBT members:
- Orinam.net blog refers to many blogs/stories of Indian LGBT members.
- Do you have any matchmaking service for Gay Marriage or Gay Shaadi to find a (queer) gay life partner for our family member ?
- No, we don't. but you can visit www.amourqueerdating.blogspot.com or message to www.facebook.com/amourqueerdating or similar websites for such a requirement.
Thursday, May 5, 2016
Wednesday, September 23, 2015
- What is GoodAsYou ?
- GoodAsYou, started in 1994, is one of the oldest surviving support groups for LGBTIQA/Queer community in Bengaluru/Bangalore.
- AGENDA: Open for any LGBTIQA related discussion, personal or public. This is a self-moderating group. FUNDING: This is a self-funded group that runs on voluntary donations collected on the spot.
- This is an open space and looks forward to participants creating more avenues for queer people to socialize and build a sense of community. Open ideas that seek volunteer coordinators include groups for sports/games/trekking/travel/cooking/art etc.
- For more info, visit: https://www.facebook.com/goodasyoublr
- Q. Where is GoodAsYou?
- Since GoodAsYou is just a support group, it doesn't have its own office, but our Thursday meetings and most of other activities happen at the NGO Swabhava's office at the following address.
- Swabhava Trust, Sampengiramnagar, Bangalore, 080-22230959
- Q. How does one join this group?
- Please call up the above number to know the timings of the meetings and walk-in there.
- For yahoo group, please invite yourself from the yahoo group or mail to email@example.com
- For facebook group, an existing member can add you or email to firstname.lastname@example.org or message to this facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/goodasyoublr
- Q. Is there a group for Parents, Families, Friends & Allies?
- Yes! We have a FaceBook group to encourage a more open discussion between queer people, their families, friends & allies. If you are out to friends/ family and want to help them learn more and discuss things with similar people, please add them to the group
- The group is at: https://www.facebook.com/groups/goodasupflag/
- We also organize periodic group meets and will post details as and when such events are planned
- Q. Is there a similar group for lesbians and bi-sexual women?
- Although Goodasyou welcomes all the LGBT members here, our sister group WHAQ is specially for Queer women. The group can be reached at https://www.facebook.com/whaqbangalore. Alternatively you can reach out to Maya4women NGO by dialing this number 7022222180.
- Q. Any other similar groups or activities in Bangalore?
- This wiki page helps you to know what all happens in Queer circles of Bangalore
- Q. Any other similar groups or NGOs in other cities of India?
- Refer to http://www.trikone.org/index.php/resources/resources#india
- Q. Are there any Queer/Gay Friendly counselors at GoodAsYou?
- Counselling support for queer people and their families are available at multiple centres
- Vinay through 'Swabhava' provides Free counselling: 080 2223 0959.
- Free E-mail counselling at: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Queer friendly mental health professionals directly connected to this group
- Mr.Mahesh Natarajan - Certified Counselor(English/Tamil) - 9611405684 http://www.innersight.in, CVRamanNagar
- Mrs.Ajanta De - Certified Counselor (English/Hindi) - 9980781314 http://www.innersight.in, CVRamanNagar
- Mr.Vasudhendra - Certified Counselor (English/Kannada/Telugu) - 9844422782 BanneghattaRd (Free for LGBT community)
- Ms.Mari Eva Mendes - Certified Counselor (English/Arabic) - 9632513023, Kammanahalli
- Mr.Mohan Raj - Clinical Psychologist (English/Kannada/Hindi) - 9663955839 New BEL Road.
- Saurabh Banerjee - Trainee Counselor with Parivarthan (English/Hindi/Bengali) - Indiranagar/Kalyannagar - 9535744744
- Dr Snigdha Nautiyal- Clinical Psychologist (English/Hindi) Shanthi Polyclinic, Jayanagar 080-26341314/26346262
- Dr. Poornima Bhola, Clinical Psychologist (English/Hindi), Thursday OPD, NIMHANS, Hosur Road
- Dr. Veena Satyanarayan, Clinical Psychologist (Kannada/English), Dept. of Psychiatry, St. John’s Hospital, Sarjapur Road
- Dr. Ratna Isaac, Clinical Psychologist (Kannada/English), Richmond Poly Clinic, Richmond Circle (9845197093)
- Dr Galgali Ravindra Babu Rao, Psychiatrist (English/Kannada/Telugu) - St.Johns Hosptial, Koramanagala
- Dr Vijayanthi Bonanthaya, Psychiatrist (English/Kannada), Manipal Hospital, Old Airport Road
- Dr Dharmendra, Psychiatrist, Manasa Neuro Psychiatric Center, Near Ashoka Pillar, Jaynagar
- Dr. Shankar, Psychiatrist (Kannada/English), Basaveshwaranagar Poly Clinic, Basaveshwara Nagar (9740091530)
- Q. What else happens other than Thursday meetings or Online groups?
- Monday: 'Monday Mushaira' (Once a month or so) A queer poets group that meets at Paradigm Shift in Koramangala 8pm-10pm (Not active currently)
- Tuesday: Queer friendly poetry readings at Urban Solace on Tuesday nights
- Wednesday: (Bowling group is not active currently)
- Thursday: GoodAsYou meetings: Thursdays 7pm-9pm at Swabhava
- Friday: Pink Divas dance workshops: Swabhava on Friday evenings
- Saturday: "Married & Queer" Meetings or Film screenings at Swabhava 6PM onwards.
- Sunday: Gay Runners & Brunch: Sundays Cubbon Park 9:30; Airlines 10:30 - 12:30 (A WhatsApp group exists to coordinate runs as well. Please write to ask for details)
- Queer friendly parties are organized by PinkNation, FeverNites etc on weekend nights - Details on Facebook
- Queer Reads: Monthly book reading club. Details on its facebook page
- Hikes and Treks: Once a quarter or so
- BQFF & Bangalore Pride are of course long standing marquee annual events
- Other events as and when organized will be posted by members. We encourage more people to start open social activities
- All are welcome to these events; personal expenses may be involved.
- Q. Is it safe to meet new people though this group or other online resources?
- If any profile sends you a private message or request, or a member approaches you in any of the community event such as Thursday meeting or Sunday GRAB, please use your own discretion on engaging/ befriending, Do not assume everyone is good.
- Also following these guidelines when meeting strangers: http://goodasyoublr.blogspot.in/2015/09/dos-donts-of-instant-dating.html
- Q. Post the Supreme Court judgment(Dec-2013) overturning the Delhi HC Naz verdict, what should I know?
- Please refer to orinam.net/377 for information on the verdict and actions post the verdict
- While the verdict is a setback, it does not make identifying as a queer person or participating in queer groups such as GoodAsYou/ WHaQ!/ LesBIT/ Sangama/ etc a crime.
- We strongly urge queer people to stay connected and use groups like ours so you can stay abreast with current developments, know how to be safe and have an awesome time in general
- Q. Do you have any information about Safe sex, HIV etc.?
- Women can refer to this document: http://www.facebook.com/groups/GoodAsYouBlr/511579532238663/
- Men can can refer to this document: http://www.facebook.com/groups/GoodAsYouBlr/492506824145934/
- This video gives graphical info about STDs: http://youtu.be/KB2qWT9Jzm0
- Q. Do you also do HIV/STD Testing?
- GoodasYou doesn't have it currently. The following NGOs do free HIV and STD testing and are Gay-Friendly/Queer-Friendly
- YRG CARE MSM Centre at Victoria Hospital, near KRMarket, Ms.Nayeema(9632573643)
- Samara Office, Malleshwaram, Rajshekar (9980111428)
- Samara Office, Sampengirmanagar, Sahil (9901002392)
- Samara Office, Jayanagar, Ramdas (9880161863)
- Family Planning Association, City Corp Maternity Home Cmplx, 1st Flr, Place Guttahalli, Blr-3, 080-23360205 For other city addresses, check http://www.fpaindia.org/
- Also, Queer owned Private clinic for any STD issues: Dr. Sanjay Sharma - colorectal / podiatric surgeon; practicing at APTA Healthpod ( www.aptahealth.in), 763, 19th Cross, 15th Main, Sahakarnagar, Bangalore - 92, Ph - 08041214111; at RxDx, Graphite India Road, Whitefield, Bangalore and PulseHealth, 575, 80ft Road, Kormanagala Ph - 41103841
- Q. Are there any hospitals that do HIV/STD Testing ?
- You can get HIV and other STD tests done in any ICTC centre or Private
Hospital,For eg. Koramangala St.Johns Hospital, Majestic Railway
Hospital.List of ICTC Centres across Karnatka for free HIV Testing: https://www.facebook.com/
- Q. Do you provide any support if I am detected HIV Positive?
- Contact the numbers of the above provided counselors. They will help you. Or write to email@example.com
- Q. Do you have list of Hospitals or Doctors to treat HIV Pos patients ?
- Govt.Free ART (Anti Retroviral Therapy) centres are at the following hospitals in Bangalore.
- Govt. KIMS, K.R Road, V.V Puram
- Govt. Victoria Hospital, City Market,
- Govt. Bowring Hospital, Shivajinagar
- St John’s Hospital, Koramanhala (Private)
- For other places, refer to http://www.nacoonline.org/upload/Directory%20of%20Service%20Facilities/List%20of%20functional%20355%20ART%20Centres%20as%20on%20March-2012.pdf
- Private Clinics/Doctors giving HIV medicine.
- Dr.KS.Satish, Fortis Hosp/Vikram Hosp/ChestnMaternity Hosp, http://drkssatish.com/
- Dr.B.Satish, Seva Clinic, Ramachandrapuram, Jalahalli, Blr-13, Ph: 9342956561/9448409047
- Q. Is there support available for emergency situations like police caught me or family threw me out of house etc.?
- If you are ever in trouble(homophobic abuse, problem at home, police issue or any other issue), call them. They will help you ASAP SANGAMA runs 24/7 crisis hotlines: +91 994 560 1651 to 1654;+91 994 523 1493
- Q. Is there legal support available from any lawyers if needed ?
- Call to one of the following numbers (regular office hours only)ALTERNATIVE LAW FORUM : +91 80 2286 5757 / +91 80 2286 8757 LAWYERS COLLECTIVE BANGALORE +91 80 4123 9130 / +91 80 4123 9131
- Q. Do you have any support group for MARRIED GAY/BI people?
- Please join our married queer people group "MARRIED & QUEER". Write to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
- Do you have any matchmaking service for Gay Marriage or Gay Shaadi to find a (queer) gay life partner (Mr.Right or Mrs.Right) ?
- No, we don't. but you can visit www.amourqueerdating.blogspot.com or www.facebook.com/amourqueerdating or similar websites for such a requirement.
- Q. Where else can we find your group other than here?
Many of the queer community members often meet unknown people for dates, chats and more. We have been increasingly hearing cases of extortion, blackmail, sedation, house confinement, rape, and robbery, especially post SC judgement of upholding 377 in Dec 2013. So here are some Dos and Donts to follow when you meet strangers.
- Always meet strangers in public places first such as a coffee shop, a restaurant, a mall or a crowded park. Proceed to their or your place, only if you have had a conversation with them and get some level of confidence.
- If you know the number of the person you are meeting, you can choose to search for that number in True Caller (for spam history), Facebook and google to make sure you are not walking into an extortion racket.
- Inform a close friend (who knows you are queer) about the details of the person you are meeting such as their PR-ID/number, the location of their place etc.
- If you are taking the person to your place, make sure to lock your door from inside (if there is a provision) and hide the keys so that they do not run away with valuables.
- If you plan to have intercourse, make sure to carry condoms and lubricants yourself instead of discovering the lack of them later and going unprotected.
- When you visit someone's place in the city or at a far off place, make sure you will have some transport back home any time so that you can leave the place if you sense something wrong.
- Be confident or at least act confident in the times of crisis, so that culprits do not make use of your fear (Remember it's not illegal to be gay or queer in India, only certain acts are).
- Call up the nearest queer helpline numbers (Visit other posts of this blog for Bangalore numbers), if you end up in a unwanted situation.
- Do NOT carry excess cash, credit/debit cards or valuable items when you visit a stranger's place
- Do NOT expose strangers to your vulnerable personal stories, such as lack of acceptance at home/workplace or marital status etc (They may use it to blackmail you).
- Do NOT leave your wallet, mobile or other valuables unattended at your or their place during your meeting with strangers.
- Do NOT consume drinks or eatables offered by them (which might be sedated) at their place.
- Do NOT do drugs or alcohol with strangers. Anything that can take away your consciousness is a strict NO.
Friday, November 28, 2014
Thursday, 12th May 2016:(Agenda of Goodasyou)
Thursday, 5th May 2016:(Bangladesh activist Murders)
Thursday, 28th April 2016:(Abuse in non-romantic relationships)
Thursday, 21st April 2016:(Open relationships and partnerlessness)
Thursday,14th April 2016:(Partner being disowned by family)
Thursday, 7th April 2016:(Queers Leaving India)
Thursday, 31st March 2015:(Handling marriage questions)
Thursday, 24th March 2016:(Kapoor n sons movie)
Thursday, 17th Mar 2016:(Political views in Goodasyou)
Thursday, 10 March 2016: (BQFF performances)
Thursday, 3rd March 2016:(BQFF n Aligarh movie)
Thursday, 18th Feb 2016: (JNU n Queer)
Thursday, 11th Feb 2016: ( Sexual freedom)
Thursday, 4th Feb 2016: (SC 5-judge panel)
Thursday,14th Jan 2016:(Queer n Movies)
Thursday, 7th Jan 2016:(Teanagers facing homophobia)
Thursday, 31st Dec 2015:(How did 2015 go?)
Thursday, 24th Dec 2015 (PrEP and HIV)
Thursday, 10th Dec 2015 (Posting pics with MoM)
Thursday, 3rd Dec 2015 (Abusive relationships)
Thursday, 26th Nov 2015 (Hijab wearing feminists?)
Thursday, 5th Nov 2015 (Blr Pride)
Thursday, 29th Oct 2015 (Gaymen and feminine pronouns)
Thursday, 15th Oct 2015 (Queer and Marriage)
Thursday, 8th Oct 2015 (Genderless society?)
Thursday, 01st Oct 2015 (Relationship between cis and trans individuals)
Thursday, 17th Sep 2015 (Gender fluid persons being mocked at in fb)
Thursday, 03rd Sep 2015 (CSMR's decisions about corporates/political parties in Pride)
Thurday, 28th Aug 2015 (IIT Kharagpur survey about campus attitudes towardqueer)
Thursday, 20th Aug 2015 (Radhe Ma, Manusmriti and Homosexualty)
Thursday, 6th Aug 2015 (History of pride marches)
Thursday, 30th July 2015 (Stereotyping in queer community)
Thursday, 23rd July 2015 (Video campaign for Independece day)
Thursday, 16th July 2015 (How to reach out to QPLHIV?)
Thursday, 9th July 2015 (Missed call campaign)
Thursday, 2nd July 2015 (Delhi HC judgement anniversery)
Thursday, 25th June 2015 (Dominating and dishonest partners)
Thursday,11th June 2015 (Queer collectives influence on queer culture across India)
Thursday,4th June 2015 (Bail on 377 possible?)
Thursday,28th May 2015 (Shilok's yaarivaru program on RadioActive 90.4MHz)
Thursday,21st May 2015 (First Gay matrimonial ad and debates followed)
Thursday,14th May 2015 (How to handle friends in Abusive relationships?)
Thursday,7th May 2015 (Progress of LGBT activism in Hyderabad)
Thursday,16th April 2015 (Progress of queer activism in India)
Thursday,9th April 2015 (Male Circumcision and Female genital mutilation)
Thursday,2nd April 2015 (Indiana's religious freedom law)
Thursday,26th March 2015 (Validity of transgender person's marriage post NALSA)
Thursday,19th March 2015 (Scare of HIV/STIs?)
Thursday,12th March 2015 (LGBT Corporate groups)
Thursday,5th March 2015 (What about Trans/Dalit Nirbhayas?)
Thursday,19th Feb 2015 (Right to "Absolute Freedom of Speech including hatred")
Thursday, 12th Feb 2015 (Explaining Homosexuality with Evolution theory)
Thursday, 5th Feb 2015 (Rigidity of sexual roles)
Thursday, 29th Jan 2015 (Trans phobia in movies)
Thursday, 22nd Jan 2015 (Obmana4QueerIndia campaign)
Thursday, 15th Jan 2015 (Inclusive Hindutva and sexuality)
Thursday, 8th Jan 2015 (PrEP and PEP)
Thursday, 1st Jan 2015 (Preparation for coming out)
Thursday, 25th Dec 2014 (Trans acceptance in North East India)
Thursday, 18th Dec 2014 (Alone vs lonely)
Thursday, 11th Dec 2014 (PEP, Vedas, Transphobia)
Thursday, 4th December 2014 (Child sexual abuse)
Thursday, 27th Nov 2014 (Self worth and Body Image Issues)
Thursday, 30th Oct 2014 (Infosys Guy - 377 case)
Thursday, 16th October 2014 (Two bottoms in a relationship)
Thursday, 9th October 2014 (LGBT in Hindu and other mythologies)
Thursday, 25th September 2014 (Sushant in Bigboss )
Thursday, 18th September 2014 (Govt Response to Transgender verdict )
Thursday, 11th September 2014 (Pride being flamboyant )
Thursday, 4th September 2014 (Empthy for Gay married men)
Thursday, 21st August 2014 (Institution of marriage)
Thursday, 7th August 2014 (Stories of early awareness of being Gay)
Thursday, 31st July 2014 (Human rights/Womens rights/Gay rights)
Thursday, 24th July 2014 (Harassment by an ex-sex date)
Thursday, 17th July 2014 (Suicidal tendencies of community)
Thursday, 10th July 2014 (Struggle to come to terms of a new friend)
Thursday, 26th June 2014 (Need for Health Info awareness)
Thursday, 19th June 2014 (Bangalore Doctor arrest)
Thursday, 12th June 2014 (LGBT friendly workplace promotion)
Thursday, 05th June 2014 (Rapes with in the community)
Thursday, 22nd May 2014 (Effects of new Govt?) https://www.facebook.com/groups/21687698690/permalink/10152164079563691/
Thursday, 08th May 2014 (Confirming with society, needed?)
Thursday, 24th April 2014 (Transgender verdict)
Thursday, 3rd April 2014 (What is developement?)
Thursday, 27th March 2014 (Effects of sleeping around)
Thursday, 20th March 2014(Top Bottom supremacy)
Thursday, 06th March 2014(Group moview review)
Thursday, 13th Feb 2014 (Sexual and Mental health issues of Queer)
Thursday, 30th Jan 2014 (Corporate policies post SC judgement)
Thursday, 23rd Jan 2014 (Arguments of Incest and Bestility)
Thursday, 16th Jan 2014 (Coming out to distant friends, HIV and others)
Thursday, 9th Jan 2014 (Letters to SC )
Thursday, 26th December 2013 (Post Judgement legal questions)
Thursday, 19th December 2013 (Post Judgement questions)
Thursday, 12th December 2013 (Handling Post Judgement panic)
Thursday, 05th December 2013 (Suicides and Depression)
Thursday, 21st November 2013 (Need for Pride March)
Thursday, 14th November 2013 (Blackmailing & Money extortion)
Thursday, 24th October 2013 (Retirement plans)
Thursday, 17th October 2013 (Parties not allowing trans people)
Thursday, 10th October 2013 (Anxiety of gay men vs. women)
Thursday, 03th October 2013 (Bully at work place)
Thursday, 26th September 2013 (Being single gay & yet happy?)
Thursday, 19thSeptember 2013 (Finance & Queer Life)
Thursday, 12th September 2013 (Acceptence of a Bisexual)
Thursday, 29th August 2013 (Harassment from unknown dates)
Thursday, 22nd August 2013 (Coming out to parents)
Thursday, 15th August 2013 (History of Bangalore Gay life from 1970s)
Thursday, 1st August 2013 (Is patriarchy natural?)
Thursday, 18th July 2013 (Sleeping with boyfriend's dad)
Thursday, 11th July 2013 (Mixed topics)
Thursday, 4th July 2013 (Falling out of love)
Thursday, 27th June 2013 (US-DOMA, Peer pressure for marriage)
Thursday, 20th June 2013 (Financial mismatch in Gay Relation)
Thursday, 13th June 2013 (Those who get attracted to feminity)
Thursday, 06th June 2013 (Calling men by female gender)
Thursday, 30th May 2013 (Survey Results)
Thursday, 23rd May 2013 (Post Relationship issues)
Thursday, 9th May 2013 (Bombay Talkies)
Thursday, 18th April 2013 (HIV)
Thursday, 11th April 2013 (Gay Marriage, Transgenders)
Thursday, 4th April 2013 (Inclusiveness, Confessions)
Thursday, 28th March 2013 (Gay Marriage and consequences )
Thursday, 21st March 2013 (Returning from US, Homophobia among Drs)
Thursday, 14th March 2013 (Workplace coming out)
Thursday, 7th March 2013 (Hyd Suiside, Religion & Sexuality)
Saturday, 16th Feb 2013 (HIV Positive experience)
Thursday, 14th Feb 2013 (Unrequited love)
Thursday, 7th Feb 2013 (Surrogacy & Gay parenting)
Thursday, 31st Jan 2013 (Romantic relationship is oxygen? )
Thursday, 24th Jan 2013 (Sex/fliges with co-workers)
Thursday, 17th Jan 2013 (Relationship-obssessiveness & Phobia)
Thursday, 10th Jan 2013 (Likes of different people for sex/relationship)
Thursday, 20th Dec 2012 (Delhi Rape, effeminate gay men)
12th March 2013: Stories of Handling Marriage pressure
22nd March 2013: Coming out stories
26th March 2013: Is arguing with parents for years, good ?https://www.facebook.com/groups/21687698690/permalink/10151386175403691
15th April 2013: Post-breakup hatred issues
Discussions & Debates
01st Nov 2014: What's Evolutionary explanation to Homosexuality?
29th Oct 2014: A married gay arrested under 377 for Infidelity. What's the group's take on it?
11th Sep 2014: Do we really need pride march?
7th Sep 2014: How do we treat a heterosexually-Married Gay men?
24th March 2013: How important is sex in a relationship?
19th March 2013: Single Facebook ID or Multiple IDs
14th March 2013: Staring/Cruising/Harassment in Public
3rd March 2013: Cheating by best friend and boy friend
30th Sep 2012: Monogamy vs. Other ways of life
7th Dec 2012: Sleeping with Married gays vs. Bi-sexuals